HUB

Jan 2012

Your Textbook on the iPad – no way!!

Apple re-invents the way you can read your textbook, make electronic notes on the text page, highlight images and basically learn – in a more interactive, modern way.  No more looking through old textbooks or wondering in amazement if you have the latest one only the week after you have purchased it. Apple yet again sets the boundaries in instant interaction, against the standards of…

Read More

Jan 2012

Become…

When do we use become? Example:  I became interested in teaching when I came to barcelona Became is formal and used in writing. became means a development of some type. DON’Ts – Become + noun   Become is never used with a Noun TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE [QUIZZIN 40] Click here to view a video related to this issue. Can you hear ‘get’ being used in the…

Read More

Jan 2012

Get…

I got interested in teaching 5 years ago (got - past tense) formal version: I became interested in teaching when I came to Spain.   Get is informal and used in speech rather than writing. You can use get in many different situations whereas get + noun/pronoun - as a direct object get can have several meaning obtain acquire receive fetch Examples: I got the best grade…

Read More

Jan 2012

Few, a Few…..

FEW – a small number of Can I ask you a few questions?  we use few when we talk about plural nouns – I have a few books a few = some few = hardly any A few people came to the party (some people came to the party) Few people came to the party (hardly any people came to the party) We can also…

Read More

Jan 2012

Pretty….

Pretty has many different meaning depending on how it is used. Adjective Adverb Verb Noun Adverb: as an Adverb it means moderately or fairly His work was pretty good Adjective: as an adjective pretty means attractive She is really pretty The flowers are really pretty Verb: to make pretty or attractive She prettied up the room Click here to watch the video and see if…

Read More

Jan 2012

Try something new for 30 days…

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfBXjWm7hc Matt Cutts was “stuck in a rut” with his life so he took the advice of a fairly modern American philosopher – Morgan Spurlock – which was to, “do something new for 30 days”.

Jan 2012

Friday Fun: The History of English #4

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN7-EvgKAsk&feature=relmfu The Friday posts about the history of English continue with this video about the impact of the King James Bible.

Jan 2012

S1: Learn the Alphabet…

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIhzFh0yw8   Can you say the English alphabet? This musical video helps you to remember and pronounce the alphabet.

Jan 2012

I am rowing… subject + ‘ing’

The present continuous We use the present continuous to talk about actions in progress: I am reading I am swimming I am eating However, we can also use them when we express complaint:  I am always eating  He is always singing He always sing – INCORRECT Positive Subject To be Past Participle I am I am singing We are eating She is talking on the…

Read More

Page 1 of 41234