HUB

Feb 2012

At the height of his career

Idioms are forms of expressions used in languages. Idioms are not meant to be translated literally for example: it’s raining cats and dogs (it means it is raining a lot) At the height of…..Have you ever heard this expression? There are many idioms with the word height. Take a look at the Height of: The period when something is strongest. In 1970 he was at…

Read More

Feb 2012

Woolly Mammoths in Andalucia

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwMYnoCGsM&feature=fvst It has been discovered that Andalucía was as cold as Scandinavia – and Woolly Mammoths foraged for food and shelter

Feb 2012

Both either neither

We use Both/Either/neither for two things: Both Films are good Neither film is bad I don’t mind seeing either film Listen carefully to the video – Both of the earths Poles…. Both of ……is always followed by the/those/these……my/his/theirs we cannot say both of restaurants are good we say instead both of the restaurants are good. Both…..and - means ‘the one and also the other of two…

Read More

Feb 2012

all or the whole……?

All/the whole……….?       The whole We usually use the whole (of) with singular countable nouns. The can be replaced by a possessive pronoun our, my, etc. the whole meeting, my whole life He worked in the same office his whole life. _________________________________________________________ All We use all (of) to express the total number or amount of something. All (of) my friends visited me in London. We usually use all…

Read More

Feb 2012

I am able to understand English

Be able to is not a modal auxiliary verb. We include it here for convenience, because it is often used like “can” and “could”, which are modal auxiliary verbs. Structure subject + be + able + infinitive Be able to can be used with all tenses: I am able to drive….. I was able to walk….. I will be able to practice English….. Able is used to express ability. Able…

Read More

Feb 2012

Friday Fun: The History of English #8

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvumrknAKs&feature=relmfu The series about the history of the English language continues with more examples of how English has changed over time. This video includes details about American English. It may be something that people are a lot more common with, especially with the impact of American ‘movies’ or ‘films’. Do you know any words that are different in British and American English? What about the…

Read More

Feb 2012

Words are made of letters

Made is the past tense of MAKE Make in this case means – produced or shaped as specified It is made of gold Can you tell the difference between these three structures? Made of Made for Made off 1. Made of – make something of someone/something 2. Made for – Perfect for each other  3. Made off – Run away  They are made for…

Read More

Feb 2012

Did you win?

TO WIN Definition To be first in a contest, a race or something similar To gain victory For example: He will win the race because he is the fastest runner They won the world cup TO BEAT Definition To achieve victory in a contest – someone or a team Example: Who will beat Milan? I will beat them tomorrow because Questions? Did you win the…

Read More

Feb 2012

I actually think that Pigs are cute

first 30 seconds of the video For Spanish speakers actually is a false friend. It does not mean right now, nowadays it means in reality. Adverb: Really. This time he actually applied for the job. It is also used when something someone has said is surprising Example:  She actually bought me a present  Can you think of anymore synonyms? really  in fact  indeed  as a…

Read More

Page 1 of 3123