HUB

Mar 2012

The use of one and one’s – Easter

Do you know how to use one or ones? As a determiner, the word one is sometimes used before a proper noun to designate, particularly, this person: ”He delivered the package to one Ronald Pepin of Colchester.” The article ”a” will also function in that position for the same purpose. Sometimes we use the word one as an adjective, as in ”I’ll have just one…

Read More

Mar 2012

adverbs of degree – very, extremely

Do you know how to use adverbs of degree? We use Adverbs of degree express the intensity or degree of an action. Common adverbs of degree: ALMOST NEARLY QUITE JUST TOO ENOUGH HARDLY SCARCELY COMPLETELY VERY EXTREMELY Adverbs of degree are usually placed: Before the adjective or adverb they are modifying: The cup of tea was extremely hot. The film was nearly over. Before the…

Read More

Mar 2012

Present Perfect Tense – He has been to Paris

PRESENT PERFECT TENSE Subject + has/have + Past Participle  She has eaten an apple   We use the Present Perfect Simple tense to talk about what happened until now… Do you know how to use the Present Perfect Tense? The present perfect tense always has a connection with the past and with the present. 3 uses of the present perfect tense 1. Experience We often…

Read More

Mar 2012

ed-ing endings

ED-ING endings There are many adjectives that we have in English that end in -ED or -ING. Usage: We use -ING to describe the characteristic of a person or a thing. We use -ED to describe a feeling. Compare the difference: My teacher is bored. – (My teacher feels bored) My teacher is boring. – (My teacher is a boring person) You can use these adjectives to describe people or situations but be careful that you…

Read More

Mar 2012

The Easter Story

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxQgXgS5G3c Do you know the Easter story? There have been many film interpretations of it including controversial ones such as Mel Gibson’s ‘The Passion of the Christ‘ and funnier versions including Monty Python’s ‘Life of Brian‘. Easter has now become a bigger celebration outside of the religious context with the Easter bunny and chocolate Easter eggs. What are you going to do this Easter?

Mar 2012

Kawasaki

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEP-jeh6UZg The Kawasaki Heavy Industries Group manufactures a vast array of products that demonstrate technological mastery of the land, sea, air and outer space. Continue reading if you want to learn more about Kawasaki Heavy Industries…

Mar 2012

Who, which or that?

Do you know how to use who, that and which?     Who is a relative pronoun and it is used with people The relative pronouns That and Which refer to things. That can be used for people but only in speech and informal writing.   For example: WHO She was the one WHO told me not to go He was the one who…

Read More

Mar 2012

Numbers in English……is it five thousand or five thousands?

In British English AND is used between hundred (and)……whereas in American English it is omitted   Hundreds American English 450 four hundred fifty British English 450 four hundred AND fifty Note: 300 three hundred NOT three hundreds Thousands  1,350 One thousand three hundred AND fifty Millions  3,450,000 three million four hundred AND fifty thousand NOTE: We use (plural) hundreds, thousands, millions and billions when…

Read More

Mar 2012

What time is it?

Do you know how to tell the time in English?     am before noon (ante meridiem) pm after noon (post meridiem) We use o’clock at the full hour 12:00 o’clock 12:10 ten past twelve For 15 minutes past we use quarter past 12:15 (a) quarter past twelve For 30 minutes past the hour we use 12:30 half past twelve For 15 minutes…

Read More

Page 1 of 3123