HUB

FM – Unifying format criteria for TEFL activities. The cherry on the cake!

May 2014

FM – Unifying format criteria for TEFL activities. The cherry on the cake!

On debate: We need to unify format criteria when creating TEFL activities in order to create the perfect activity. The teachers creating activities and the ones correcting them have to use the same criteria. We agreed to: Creating standards for activities. Checklist with the most important bullet points to remember when creating TEFL activities.  TL definition: simplify explanation, not copy and paste from online dictionaries Put pictures in tables…

Read More

TEFL classes by videoconference for elementary level students.

May 2014

TEFL classes by videoconference for elementary level students.

TEFL classes by videoconference are often related to high level students. How should our teaching change in order to grant successful and exciting learning experience to our students? On debate: Elementary level students (P2T) have just completed S1 and are ready to move up. At this stage grading the language and adapting are still very necessary. How can we improve our teaching practice and material? Conclusions: Keep instructions…

Read More

May 2014

ESL activity lab. Creating functional beginners material – I play!

The purpose of this piece of ESL activity belonging to our activities section for beginners is to introduce the verb ‘play’. The previous ESL activity included the verb ‘like’ as well as ‘play’ so we removed the verb to like in order to simplify the activity. We introduced 4 Sports which all add something different to the ESL activity – Tennis, the same word used…

Read More

ESL activities for beginners – a new ESL activity is born

May 2014

ESL activities for beginners – a new ESL activity is born

If you think these faces are too serious and concentrated, you are about right. The guys you are seeing in the picture, part of our Oxbridge TEFL teacher team in Madrid, are deeply engaged in creating ESL activities for beginners. Four teachers. One activity. An ESL activity for beginner learners of English that will be used once and will last not more than 10 minutes. If the outcome is…

Read More

May 2014

How to teach beginners English as a foreign language- I want, I don’t want

How to teach beginners English as a foreign language in the target language only is sometimes a headache for ESL teachers. As it turned out, teaching the function I WANT in English without translating is not that easy. Students tend to confuse its meaning with I LIKE because this structure appears in similar contexts. How to teach beginners I WANT without simply saying “Yo quiero…”?