HUB

Feb 2015

How to… use emails for ESL teaching

In this day & age paperless teaching is the future.   Seeing that this is the case it should be no surprise that the next step should be using emails for ESL teaching.  How emails are incorporated in the out-of-class learning experience depends of course on the nature of the teaching environment as well as the needs of both student & teacher. Today we will consider using…

Read More

Feb 2015

Teacher student interaction: teachers are learners too!

So, you’ve completed your TEFL course, gained your certificate and procured a job. The next part is, how do you do it vs how do you do it well. I personally don’t think there is a wrong and right way of teaching as everyone has their own way and each way works for them; providing the students are learning what they’ve set out to learn…

Read More

Feb 2015

Teaching new vocabulary: 7 fail-safe strategies

If teaching grammar forms the frame for language acquisition, teaching new vocabulary provides students with the building blocks. It is therefore the teacher’s responsibility to bring home the value of these building blocks by presenting them in perspective - that is, in a way that is relevant and useful for the students. In order to do this, educators can use the following 3 broad categories for teaching new vocabulary.  …

Read More

The trials and tribulations of being a TEFL teacher

Feb 2015

The trials and tribulations of being a TEFL teacher

If you’re thinking of becoming a TEFL teacher you might want some information of what you get out of it from someone who has firsthand experience of being one. Helping people to learn another language is a great feeling. Seeing students understand what you’ve explained to them gives you a sense of satisfaction – it’s like teaching a child to ride a bike, you do…

Read More

Feb 2015

ESL error correction techniques for the classroom

As any experienced ESL teacher knows, the type of language errors students make are as diverse as the students themselves & their attitude toward learning.  This in turn will dictate which of the ESL error correction techniques will be most applicable (if any should be used).  Today we will consider techniques to increase students accuracy & improve their awareness in order to promote self-correction.  In order to illustrate the different techniques…

Read More

TEFL teacher: What does it take to become one?

Feb 2015

TEFL teacher: What does it take to become one?

For those already familiar with the term ‘TEFL’ (an explanation of the various terms can be found here) you will know that it means teaching English as a foreign language but, what does this actually entail, other than the obvious. It would be a common misconception to think that teaching English to foreigners is totally different to teaching English in a school in the UK…

Read More

ESL teaching through the eyes of Cynthia Amuneke from Nigeria

Feb 2015

ESL teaching through the eyes of Cynthia Amuneke from Nigeria

My name is Cynthia Chinonso Amuneke. I am 29 years old, Nigerian by birth  and a public relations officer by profession. I love meeting with people and relating with them in different circumstances and situations and also see how I can be  of use to them and the organization I work for. I have also had  teaching experience when I freshly graduated from the university and was waiting for…

Read More

Feb 2015

Setting effective boundaries in the classroom

ESL teachers could face disruptive behaviour from their students on a daily basis and this can lead to distress, tension and/or anxiety.  For this reason it is important for teachers to take charge to ensure that they are setting effective boundaries because by simply ignoring it, it will get worse. Robin Booth proposes that a boundary is something that the teacher puts in place in…

Read More

Feb 2015

Teaching English in Spain

I previously wrote an explanation of the various ‘TEFL’ terms (you can read about it here), for those who were confused over what they actually meant. So now I’m going to talk about a few other things in order to clarify some questions people may have in regards to teaching in Spain; where to work, salary, accommodation and the cost of living. If like me,…

Read More

Feb 2015

Chunking information & the power it unlocks

(or clustering) refers to grouping or organizing of information in units.  This approach to learning poses that we memorize information easier better by remembering information grouped together rather than trying to remember it separately. The chunks themselves could also prompt you to remember what is in each group.There are several ways of chunking information.  The most popular ones include grouping, finding patterns and organizing.  How…

Read More