HUB

What is intonation and why teach it?

Mar 2015

What is intonation and why teach it?

What is intonation? The term ‘intonation’ refers to the linguistic use of pitch to convey meaning of a sentence and/or word and during your life as a TEFL teacher you will come across students who will have difficulty using intonation and stress in the correct manner – this means they may not be able to get their point across very well and, in turn, native…

Read More

Mar 2015

Task-based language teaching: 6 tools for task force teachers

happens to all of us:  Now and again you come to the point where you have tried/used every trick in the book and now you are stumped for activities.  If that is the case you came to the right place because today we will look at the boundless source of original activities.  I am talking about task-based language teaching of course. Please note that the emphasis…

Read More

Mar 2015

‘Schwa’ – unstressed syllables

Before I was taught how to teach English, by Oxbridge TEFL, I had no idea that the word “schwa” existed. Today, I’m writing about the ‘schwa’, which isn’t (incidentally) about the pronunciation of words such as ‘Schwartz’ and ‘Schwarzkopf’…it’s about pronouncing a sound, a sound that features a lot in the English language but, not in any other language. The schwa ([ə]) is typical in…

Read More

Mar 2015

New teaching techniques: Sparking inspiration

The era of “chalk and talk” is over.  We as teachers know that we need to incorporate new teaching techniques seeing that nowadays simply presenting information to our students is just not enough.  Students have to engross themselves in what they are being taught, they need to discover the worth of what we teach them and it is our job to ignite that interest. The…

Read More

Mar 2015

ESL – Common Mistakes Students Make

In my last blog post I listed a few ‘false friends’ – English words that students confuse with words from their own language – in this one, I’m going to talk about common mistakes. Every single day, at least one student will say ‘he’ when they mean ‘she’ and vice versa. They also tend to say ‘he’ when talking about an animal whose gender they…

Read More

Mar 2015

Games people play: No-prep ESL games for all ages

ake a moment & think about what you have learnt through simply playing a game – any game.  While you´re at it, notice that people play everywhere - so why not in the classroom?  Today we will help you spruce up your classes with an extensive list of no-prep ESL games our teachers use in their own classes.  The emphasis here is on hassle-free fun which…

Read More

Mar 2015

False Friend

For anyone who’s never taught English or taken an advanced English course, you could be forgiven for assuming that a ‘false friend’ is someone who pretends to like you when they don’t. However, a false friend is in fact a word or phrase in two languages or dialects (or letters in two alphabets) that look or sound similar, but differ significantly in meaning.  I’ve listed below some…

Read More

Mar 2015

Tiers for fears & choosing words to teach

Any conscientious teacher knows that choosing words to teach is not as easy as it seems.  Sure you can deal out words left, right & center.  However, would your students understand, grow & be empowered?  Fortunately, there is a nifty little 3 tier model that helps teachers enable their students to broaden their language capacity.   Examples: come, hear, happy, bed The first tier refers to…

Read More

Dealing with disruptive or difficult students

Mar 2015

Dealing with disruptive or difficult students

Whatever kind of teacher you are, be it a maths teacher, an art teacher or a teacher of karate, there will come a time when you will have problems managing your class/group of students and if you cannot find a way to do it effectively your students can become uninterested, unmotivated or quiet, and will seldom reach your desired goal. By using rules, teachers can…

Read More