HUB

Eating your way through Spain

Dec 2015

Eating your way through Spain

If you are living and working in Spain, it is more than likely that you will have heard someone utter the words: “Spain has some of the finest food in the world.” And yet, many foreigners working as TEFL teachers become quickly disillusioned with Spain’s gastronomic offerings. The reason behind this dissapointment lies in the difficulty of finding the right places to order the right…

Read More

Dealing with those difficult students

Dec 2015

Dealing with those difficult students

Despite the majority of students being motivated and professional, there is always a possibility you may come across one or two “difficult” students who come to class with a negative attitude. I’m sure that as teachers we can all relate to this and have some form of experience when it comes to having to work with a person who arrives to class with the wrong…

Read More

What you need to ask yourself before creating ESL activities

Dec 2015

What you need to ask yourself before creating ESL activities

Creating ESL activities can sometimes be frustrating, at least that’s the case in my life. I sometimes find myself in need for inspiration, so I google some conversation topics that might interest the students, or that’s what I think.  I start working on the activity until I feel that it is perfect, I submit my activity and wait for the day when I get to…

Read More

ESL teachers’ frustrations. Is there a way out?

Dec 2015

ESL teachers’ frustrations. Is there a way out?

Monday. 8:30 in the morning. A mixed-level group of unresponsive adult learners. Is it me? At least it’s only three of them. Or maybe that’s the problem. Is it their personalities? Perhaps it’s that they’re not interested in the activities. But everything played out so well in my mind last night… questions and answers, role-plays, no fill-in-the-gap activities, detailed situations for them to produce sound…

Read More

Dec 2015

Comfortable settings in an ESL classroom

How well can you remember your first classroom at school? I can vividly remember walking into the classroom to be greeted by Mrs Magdalia, who had a book in her hand. She asked me if I knew what the word on the page of the book on the desk was. The word was “look”, and I didn’t know it, but I didn’t feel disappointed or…

Read More

learning-styles

Dec 2015

Learning Styles and the Different Approaches to Them

We are all different; it is a part of the human condition. One obvious but often unspoken difference between us is the different learning styles that we can use. But how can these differences affect learning? Or teaching? In the early 90’s, Neil Fleming proposed one of the currently more prominent models relating to the ways that different people can learn or interact; the VAK…

Read More