HUB

Mar 2017

I stand corrected: Self-correction in fluency activities

Self-correction is key during any activity. In a previous post we looked at the different ways of developing self-correction in order to improve accuracy. Today, however, we will turn to promoting self-awareness during activities. The main difference between accuracy and fluency activities in terms of self-correction, is that with the latter, it is all about the flow of the discussion. For this reason it is best (in most…

Read More

TEFL teaching experience

Jun 2015

TEFL teaching experience

If teaching English as a foreign language (commonly known as TEFL) is something that appeals to you, you may want to know what it’s like before taking the plunge. Here, I am going to give you an insight into a real TEFL teaching experience . John Shepherd was a teacher at Oxbridge TEFL in Barcelona but decided to move on to pastures new and is…

Read More

Jun 2015

ESL teaching and the Internet. The virtual classroom

ESL teaching and the Internet – From Apple’s iPod to Google’s driver-less cars, technology is playing a massive role in the 21st century. This is not to say that it is the solution to 21st century education, but simply a tool to aid education and learning and, although it can be a great tool, any learning concerning technology should be based around the theme and objectives…

Read More

Is grammar important?

Jun 2015

Is grammar important?

Learning a second language essentially consists of ‘Reading’, ‘Listening’ and ‘Speaking’. ‘Writing’ isn’t particularly necessary unless the student expresses that they want to learn to write and, even then, it can be learned quite easily once the speaking and reading have been mastered. So, is grammar important? Grammar is important because it is the language that makes it possible for us to talk to one…

Read More

Teaching Students From Diverse Backgrounds

Jun 2015

Teaching Students From Diverse Backgrounds

One of the challenges that teachers can encounter is having to teach students from diverse backgrounds in the same class as this makes the teacher obligated to meet the needs of different language students where differentiated instruction is required. This would not always apply to school classes but private classes, where you could have a mixture of students from different countries. It is a fact…

Read More

Teaching English to Beginners: No Spanish, Please!

May 2015

Teaching English to Beginners: No Spanish, Please!

When teaching any level of any language there are certain things that we teachers need to remember, but how do these things change depending on the level? What is it that changes when teaching English to beginners? That´s the key. It´s vitally important that you know exactly what you need to teach and when. During the early stages of learning any language students need to…

Read More

Learning Styles

May 2015

Learning Styles

In one of my blogs I wrote about teaching styles in ‘The Art of Teaching English‘, today I’m going to write about learning styles. As different teachers have different teaching techniques, different students will have different learning styles. Learning styles refer to the way that people learn and everyone has a mix of learning styles although, some may find that they have a dominant style…

Read More

Approach to Successful ESP Classes

May 2015

Approach to Successful ESP Classes

How does English for specific purposes (ESP) differ from English as a second language (ESL)? In ESP classes the student has a purpose to learn English whereas with ESL they simply want to learn English to be able to converse with English speakers. What kind of people want to learn ESP? ESP students are usually adults who already have some acquaintance with the English language. Why…

Read More

May 2015

How to… design paperless ESL activities

nowing that we are entering an era of paperless lessons , why not embrace it and think of the architecture behind teaching a class using your laptop, tablet or even smartphone?  Today we will explore some of the pointers our teachers deem important when it comes to designing ESL paperless ESL activities when teaching with electronic devices. Be economical with word use and avoid excessive…

Read More

Classroom atmosphere

Apr 2015

Classroom atmosphere

In the blog I wrote before this one (which you can read about, here) I talked about how student attitude is an important factor of success in learning a foreign language and went on to talk about one contributing influence, the ‘student/teacher relationship’. In this blog, I will be talking about the second influence, ‘classroom atmosphere’ Although there are no specific teaching techniques to make…

Read More

Page 1 of 3123