Do you know when to add -ly
to a word?
For example, He walks slow or he walks slowly?
modify adjectives, verbs, and other adverbs. If an adverb answers how
and can have an-ly
attached to it, place it there.
- She speaks slow/slowly. Slowly answers how she speaks.
- We played bad/badly. Badly answers how we played.
- She thinks fast/fastly. Even though fast answers how she thinks, there is no such word as fastly.
When comparing simply add more
in front of the adverb + 'ly'.
- He read more quickly/quicker to win the prize.
- taste, smell, look, feel. These verbs do not require 'ly' endings.
- coffee smell sweet/sweetly.
- The woman looked happy/happily.
- She feels sad/sadly about the news.