P4 - Modals (could) for expressing ability, request, permission, possibility
subject + could + main verb
Can you use modal verb?
Use - Could does not change
Remember: Could cannot be used with to
I could to swim
- I could swim
We can use 'Could' to talk about the past, the present or the future.
'Could' is a past form of 'can'
- When I was living in London, I could walk to work.
- Peter called to say he couldn't come.
Instead of using 'Can' we can use 'Could' to make polite requests.
- Could you tell me where the nearest bank is?
- Could I borrow some money?
- Could you take this?
We use 'could' to reply but meaning we don't want to really do it.
- I could give you hand if you want.
- I could take you if it's really urgent but I'm really busy right now.
'Could' is used to talk about possibility or past ability
- It could rain later
- I could eat at home.
- I could speak 6 languages.
Used with hypothetical or conditional force
- If we could help, we would
We use could (positive) and couldn't (negative)
to watch a video with the word 'could'