An Iberia worker is arrested by Spanish RIOT
police officer during CLASHES
at Madrid's Barajas airport.
Workers at the LOSS-MAKING
Spanish flag CARRIER
have started a five-day strike, GROUNDING
more than 80 flights and costing the airline and STRUGGLING
national economy millions of euros.
- What do you think about this protest?
- What is the origin of the problem?
- Do you think the police action was correct? What about the workers?
- Did you know Iberia had merged with British Airways in 2011? Why?
- Was Iberia profitable before merging?
- In what ways does the strike affect the Spanish economy?
- Have you ever been on STRIKE?
Ask your students to discuss and role-play the different people such as; one representing workers and mentioning why they are on strike, different reasons. Make sure they support their ideas. The other group representing passengers. Make sure they use appropriate language for the level and in a clear, organised way.